01902 377320 Saturday and Sunday 09:00 till dusk.
633 Volunteer Gliding Squadron
Flight Staff Cadets
Become a Flight Staff Cadet
Become an adult volunteer
Here is all of the latest news from the VGS headquarters
- 05/05/2014 - 633 VGS Operation Update -
At this time there is no GIC or GS taking place. Cadets and squadrons currently allocated GIC and GS should seek updates via their WGLO are being kept up to date with any information as and when it becomes available. This website and our Bader Sharepoint Site will be updated as and when more information becomes available.
- 23/04/2014 - 633 VGS Operation Update -
There will be
Gliding Scholarship or Gliding Induction Courses taking place until at least 6th May 2014. Any cadet allocated a GS at 633 VGS or squadron allocated GIC at 633 VGS should not travel. Please monitor this site and 633 VGS Bader Sharepoint site for more information. Communication should also be made with your WGLO who is being kept up to date with information as it becomes available.
-12/04/2014 - 20/04/2014 - 633 VGS
GS Course -
Starting on the evening Friday 11th April 2014 10 CCF cadets will start their residential Gliding Scholarship with 633 VGS. The course is a nine day long gliding course. Cadets on weekend Gliding Scholarships are not to attend for the weekends of 12-13 April and 19-20 April but will resume as normal weekend 26-27 April.
- 06/04/2014 - Success of 633 VGS Flight Staff Cadet, CWO J Mann -
Cadet Warrant Officer J Mann a Flight Staff Cadet of 633 VGS and cadet of 1290 Sqn, Staffordshire Wing ATC, has been appointed as Lord Lieutenant's Cadet for the West Midlands. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
- 23/03/2014 - Award for 633 VGS -
On the Saturday evening four officers of 633 VGS attended the VGS Annual Dinner at RAF Cranwell where the main guest of honour was the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS). Trophies were presented by CAS in recognition of achievements. Some excellent news for us was that 633 VGS has been presented with the trophy for the most improved VGS. Well done to all for making this possible.
- 17/03/2014 - 21/03/2014 - B2 Category, CGI Richard Shilton
- CGI Shilton has recently returned from a week at RAF Syerston the home of Central Gliding School (CGS). Having completed ground and flying examinations CGI Shilton has been awarded a B2 Category as a Qualified Gliding Instructor. Once his site checks at RAF Cosford are complete he will start to train the Gliding Scholarship. Well done.
- 12/03/2014 - 633 VGS Operations update -
After two weeks of no gliding it has been confirmed today that 633 VGS will be operating as normal from now. Any GS students and GIC due this coming weekend should attend 633 VGS as normal.
- 08/03/2014 to 09/03/2014 - No Vigilant gliding -
At the request of OC 2 FTS there will be no vigilant gliding for the whole fleet for the weekend of 8th - 9th March due to aircraft being unserviceable. Therefore there is NO requirement for cadets or squadrons to attend 633 VGS for GIC or GS for this weekend.
Each aircraft in the fleet will require an individual inspection prior to their next flight and due to the size of the fleet this may take a few weeks to complete. However we will plan to be operating as normal the following week and should this not be the case it will be communicated out.
633 VGS Staff are required to attend as normal this weekend for non flying tasks,
FG OFF L Preston 633 VGS Deputy Adjutant.
- 01/02/2014 - Flight Staff Cadet (FSC) & Instructor of the Year 2013 -
Today it was announced that FSC Tom Forster has been selected as the Staff Cadet of the year 2013. In addition it was announced that Flt Lt Lawton has been selected as the Instructor of the year 2013. Although not the reason for being selected it is clearly worthy of mention that Flt Lt Lawton sent in excess of twenty GS cadets solo in the year 2013. Well done to both of you.
- 31/01/2014 - Charity Fundraising (Flt Lt Lawton)
- One of 633 VGS instructors Flt Lt Lawton, known as "Lofty" has announced his plans to help raise money for the Help For Heroes charity. He will be taking part in Tough Mudder Midlands on the 12th of July 2014. For those of you that don’t know what Tough Mudder is, imagine a 12 mile run liberally sprinkled with obstacles (walls, water filled tunnels, barbed wire, electric fences etc)…. So not for the faint hearted!
* You can see the Tough Mudder promo video
* A link to the Tough Mudder Midlands website
Hats off to him for this challenge and also raising money for such a worthy charity. If you would like to sponsor lofty, please do so by following this link
and help him raise as much money as possible!
From everybody at 633 VGS, good luck!
- 05/01/2014 - Silver Wings -
Today, the first operating day of 2014 two cadets successful completed their first ever solo flight and have been awarded their silver solo wings. Cadet Martinez of 2151 Squadron and Cadet Hissey of 435 squadron both belonging to Staffordshire Wing are the first cadets for 633 VGS to go solo in the year 2014. Cdt Hissey stands chance of being the first Air Cadet to fly solo in the Air Cadet organisation for the year 2014. Well done to both of you.
- 01/01/2014 - 633 VGS Shop
- Starting the new year off 633 VGS will be able to sell a small selection of squadron related items to help cadets and visitors remember their time with us. This could be looking back at your first ever flight or even the completion of a first solo flight. Items can be purchased during your visit with us a good price. Please see current items available by visiting the Shop link on the website or clicking on the below link. We will plan to add to this over time based on feedback.
-------------------------------------------------------------- 2014 ---------------------------------------------------------
- 22/12/2013 - Blue Wings -
Cdt Middleton from 240 Squadron, Staffordshire Wing has completed the GS today and has been awarded Blue Wings - Well done!
- 07/12/2013 - Silver Wings -
Today Cadet Nicola Morris from 1165 Squadron, West Mercian Wing completed her first ever solo flight and has been awarded her Silver wings and certificate, congratulations!
- 01/12/2013 - Email of thanks -
Today 633 VGS received an email of thanks from a West Mercian Wing squadron via the WGLO. The email thanked 633 VGS for offering to fly cadets that had turned up to fly at AEF but were unfortunately advised there was no capacity for the AEF to fly them. 633 VGS obviously has it's own tasking and can't very often increase this but on this occasion we were able to offer the opportunity to these cadets and clearly it was appreciated.
- 08/12/2013 - GLAC, Fg Off Lee Preston -
Flying Officer Lee Preston has today completed the Gliding Authorisation course at RAF Cranwell. This course enables B1 to A1 Category Instructors to hold an executive post, act as Duty Instructor and the Gliding Squadron Duty Executive (GSDE).
- 06/12/2013 - A1 Instructor, Sqn Ldr Matt Smith-
OC 633 VGS, Squadron Leader Matt Smith has retuned from RAF Syerston having been assessed and awarded an A1 Category. This category currently has no additional privileges except the knowledge that the instructor has completed the highest award possible and is regarded as an exceptional Qualified Gliding Instructor. Well done Boss!
- 01/12/2013 - 633 VGS on Faceboook -
CI Greybe has set up 633 VGS on Facebook (Fb). You don't even need a facebook account to access it, just enter the following into your URL or click on the below link (will open in a new window)
We will still use this website to announce our squadron news, achievements and information, Facebook will allow us to share this to a wider audience. A greater selection of pictures will be found on our FB site due to the ease of uploading and sharing in this way. Content is monitored.
- 25/10/2013 - Aircraft Serviceable -
633 VGS aircraft have now been confirmed serviceable and will be operating as normal from now.
- 19/10/2013 to 20/10/2013 - Temporary grounding of Vigilant Aircraft -
There is NO gliding this weekend due to a temporary grounding of vigilant aircraft. We hope to be back to normal next weekend. There is no requirement for GIC, GS or Staff of 633 VGS to attend this weekend.
- 11/10/2013 - B1 Category Instructor, CGI Jordan Allen
- CGI Allen has today returned from a week at RAF Syerston the home of Central Gliding School (CGS). Having completed ground and flying examinations CGI Allen has been awarded a B1 Category as a competent Qualified Gliding Instructor. Well done.
Silver Wings -
Cdt FS R Warner from 1047 Squadron, Staffordshire Wing, has completed his GS today and has been awarded his Silver Wings - Despite a prolonged GS due to factors out of your control you continued to attend and put in the effort. Well Done.
5/10/2013 - Blue Wings -
Cdt SGT A Pagett from 2497 (Cosford) Squadron, West Mercian Wing has completed his GS today and has been awarded his Blue Wings - Well done!
Silver Wings -
Cdt FS Holden from 1119 (Shrewsbury) Quadron, West Mercian Wing has completed his GS today by flying solo and has been awarded his Silver Wings - Congratulations
- 28/09/2013 - Families Day -
After the completion of the days GIC flying task the families of 633 VGS were welcomed, showed around and hosted with a BBQ. This was a nice opportunity for staff and their families to come together, socialise and understand what it is that we do thanks to the support they give us. Although no flying of family members took place this year it was the first families day at 633 VGS for a few years and something we plan to grow on in the future. Special thanks to CI Leon Greybe for taking the lead on organising the event and CGI Jordan Allen for the music.
- 08/09/2013 - Silver Wings -
Cdt Barnes from 2488 Squadron, West Mercian Wing has completed his GS today by flying ghost solo as the crosswind was out of limits for solo flying. He has been awarded his Silver Wings - Congratulations.
- 07/09/2013 - Silver Wings -
Cdt Prosser from 425 Squadron, Staffordshire Wing has completed his GS today by flying solo and has been awarded his Silver Wings - Well done
- 01/09/2013 - CI Jess Powell -
Today CI Powell completed her last day with 633 VGS as she transfers to 636 VGS in Swansea. Jess is moving to study at Swansea university and is planning on returning to assist us on our courses and when she returns home during her university breaks. We wish her all the best and hope to see her back at 633 VGS soon.
- 31/08/2013 - Flight Staff Cadet E Tucker Prescott -
Has today completed her last day in the role as a FSC with 633 VGS as she is moving to Scotland to study psychology at University. We all wish her the best in her future.
16/08/2013 to 25/08/2013
August Residential Course
- Six RAF CCF cadets attended 633 VGS for their Gliding Scholarship. Cadets attended from different units including the local area of Shrewsbury and as far as North Wales and Cambridgeshire. In addition to providing GS training the squadron was also able to undertake Staff Continuation Training (SCT). The course enabled the following achievements:
- X20 GICs
- X2 GS Blue Wings
- X4 GS Solo Silver Wings
CI Jess Powell
- Grade 2 Pilot award
Congratulations to all!
- Cdt FS Platt from 1046 Sqn & Cdt Cpl Connor from 2493 Sqn, both in Staffordshire wing ATC completed their Gliding Scholarships today by flying solo and have been awarded their silver wings. Congratulations to both of them.
- 20/07/2013 to 26/07/2013 - G2 & Gold Wings -
With the large model aircraft show taking place at RAF Cosford over the weekend 20th-21st July we were prevented from operating at our home base. Despite this a small number of 633 VGS instructors and Flight Staff Cadets detached with one aircraft to Little Rissington the home of 637 VGS to focus on staff training and development. This resulted in
Flight Staff Cadet Cockbain
completing his Advanced Gliding Training (AGT) and being awarded his Gold wings. In addition to this
Flight Staff Cadet G Bayliss
successfully completed and has been awarded his Graded 2 pilot status and wings. Congratulations to both of them.
- Cdt Ward from Staffordshire Wing has completed his GS and has been awarded his Blue Wings - Well done
06/07/2013 - New OC for 633 VGS -
Sqn Ldr Matt Smith takes on the role as Officer Commanding 633 VGS vice Sqn Ldr John Bullock.
- Cdt Tammy Langford from 240 Squadron, Staffordshire Wing completed her GS and has been awarded her GS Blue Wings - Well done.
29/03/13 to 07/0413
633 VGS held the first residential course of 2013
Well done to all students. The course resulted in the following achievements:
X1 GS Blue wings
X5 GS Silver, Solo Wings
X1 AGT Gold Wings -
Flight Staff Cadet George Bayliss
completed his Advanced Glider Training (AGT) obtaining his Gold Wings.
Well done to all!
Community Web Kit provided free by BT